Individual Author Record
Name: Elizabeth EnrightPen Name: None Genre: Fiction Born: 1909 in Oak Park, Illinois Sites:
Illinois ConnectionElizabeth was born in Oak Park and was the niece of Frank Lloyd Wright.
Biographical and Professional InformationPreparing for a career as an illustrator, Enright studied at the Art Students League of New York in 1927-28, and at the Parsons School of Design in Paris, France. Enright also reviewed children's literature for The New York Times, taught creative writing at Barnard College, (1960–1962), and led writing seminars at colleges across the US. She began her career as a magazine illustrator, and at one point Enright developed a series of sketches with an African flair. She then wrote a story to go with them, and in 1935 her first book, Kintu: A Congo Adventure was published. It is significant that reviewers sometimes preferred the story over the pictures, as this encouraged Enright to turn more and more to writing.] After 1951 her children's books were illustrated by other artists.
- Kintu, Farrar and Rinehart, 1935
- Thimble Summer, Farrar and Rinehart, 1938
- The Sea Is All Around , Heinemann, 1960 (Original Publication 1940)
- A Christmas Tree for Lydia, Creative Co , 1986 (Original Publicaton 1951)
- Spiderweb for Two, Harcourt School, 1951
- Gone Away Lake, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1987 (Original Publication 1957)
- Return to Gone Away, Harcourt Children's Books, 1961
- Tatsinda,, Harcourt, Brace and Company, 1963
- Zeeee, Harcourt, Brace & World, 1956
- Doublefields: Memories and Stories, Harcourt, Brace & World, 1966
Titles At Your Library
ISBN: B007T22STI Farrar and Rinehart, inc.. 1935
ISBN: 1439518203 . 2008 Read by Joan Allen
Approx. 4 hours
A few hours after nine-year-old Garnet linden finds a silver thimble in the dried-up riverbed, the rains come and end the long drought on the farm. The rains bring safety for the crops and the livestock and money for Garnet's father. The summer proves to be interesting and exciting in so many different ways. Every day brings adventure of some kind to Garnet and her best friend, Citronella. As far as Garnet is concerned, the thimble is responsible for each good thing that happens during this magic summer--her thimble summer.
Joan Allen has been nominated for an Academy Award three times for her roles in Nixon, The Crucible and most recently The Contender. She has also appeared in a number of other films such as The Ice Storm, Face-Off, and Searching for Bobby Fischer.
The sea is all around
ISBN: B001OLA42S Heinemann. 1960
A Christmas Tree for Lydia (Creative's Classics)
ISBN: 0886820634 Creative Co (Sd). 1986 Book by Enright, Elizabeth